US National Security Adviser: I don’t think we will withdraw from the START-3 treaty

0
57



President Obama’s national security adviser, Robert O’Brien, said Friday that it is unlikely that the United States will withdraw from the “START-3” treaty and count on positive negotiations with Russia.

Washington – Sputnik. “I don’t think so,” O’Brien added to the Sky News channel in response to a question whether the White House would withdraw from the treaty, as happened with the Open Skies Treaty. We have formed a very strong negotiating team, and the President has chosen an envoy to lead this team, Marshal Billingsley. ”

©
                    Sputnik. Sergei Guneyev

Peskov on extending the “START-3” treaty: Washington must be asked about this, and it is not Moscow who takes measures to undermine it

“We have people from the Ministry of Energy, the Ministry of Defense, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who are preparing for talks with Russia, and we will negotiate nuclear arms control and we think this is important.”

He noted that the United States would like to see China in the agreement, but it will first start negotiations with Russia.

The National Security Adviser explained, “The Russians want to curb arms and we want to curb armaments, so I have optimistic caution that we will start moving forward with START 3.”

O’Brien revealed that the United States will hold important talks soon to reduce arms with Russia.

O’Brien’s comments came in conjunction with press reports quoting senior White House officials as saying that Washington had decided to withdraw from the 1992 “open sky” treaty.

For its part, the Russian Foreign Ministry announced that the United States has not yet formally notified it of its withdrawal from the “open sky” agreement, expressing its disappointment with this decision.

A phone call between Trump and Putin

©
                    AP Photo / Andrew Harnik

The first call between Putin and Trump reveals the latter’s ignorance of the essence of “START-3”

It is noteworthy that Russian President Vladimir Putin has previously confirmed that Russia is fully prepared to extend the treaty on measures to further reduce and reduce strategic offensive weapons “START-3”, without which there would be nothing in the world to curb the arms race.

On May 6, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and his US counterpart Mike Pompeo discussed international security issues by phone. According to the Russian Foreign Ministry, Lavrov spoke again of an extension of the START III agreement, which expires in February 2021.

The next day, May 7, a phone conversation took place between Russian and American Presidents, Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump, as Trump called for China to be included in upcoming arms control talks with Russia, to avoid a “costly arms race”, the White House announced.

Earlier, the United States said it was considering extending the Strategic Assault Weapons Treaty (START-3) with Russia, which expires in 2021, but suggested expanding it to include a wide range of new weapons not included in existing strategic offensive weapons, and also suggested that it include The Treaty is the People’s Republic of China, but China has said it is not interested in the Arms Control Treaty.

It is worth noting that the “START 3” treaty, which is an extension of the START-1 strategic attack treaty signed on June 30, 1991 in Moscow, was signed by Russia and the United States on April 8, 2010 in Prague, The new treaty replaces the old one that expired in December 2009, and START 3 entered into force on February 5, 2011.



Source link
https://arabic.sputniknews.com/world/202005221045498100-%D9%85%D8%B3%D8%AA%D8%B4%D8%A7%D8%B1-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A3%D9%85%D9%86-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%82%D9%88%D9%85%D9%8A-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A3%D9%85%D8%B1%D9%8A%D9%83%D9%8A–%D9%84%D8%A7-%D8%A3%D8%B9%D8%AA%D9%82%D8%AF-%D8%A3%D9%86%D9%86%D8%A7-%D8%B3%D9%88%D9%81-%D9%86%D9%86%D8%B3%D8%AD%D8%A8-%D9%85%D9%86-%D9%85%D8%B9%D8%A7%D9%87%D8%AF%D8%A9-%D8%B3%D8%AA%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%AA-3/

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here