Pew study: which country fights the coronavirus best? | News and analysis on international topics DW

0
82


The Americans believe that countries such as South Korea and Germany are doing very well with the coronavirus pandemic, while China, where the infection originated, receives a satisfactory or poor assessment at best. This is according to a recent study by the prestigious American Pew Institute, conducted between April 29 and May 5 this year. Critical attitudes prevail in Italy, and a split is seen in Britain. *

Half the ratings for the US are positive

Here are the specific numbers: South Korea receives 25% excellent grades and 41% good grades; in Germany, 15% give an excellent grade and 51% a good grade. Both countries received a total of 66% positive feedback, while for Italy and China they are 34% and 33% respectively. Positive feedback for the UK is 49%.

Regarding the attitude towards their own country, Americans are divided: 47% of them think that the United States is doing well or well with the pandemic, 31% give a satisfactory and 21% – a bad assessment. For comparison: South Korea was rated poorly by only 7% of respondents, and Germany – even by only 4% of respondents.

Regarding the WHO assessment, there is a disagreement among Americans, due in part to their political affiliations: 62% of Democratic voters believe the organization is doing well or well in the pandemic, while only 28% of Republican supporters say so. . And more: 80% of Democrat supporters trust WHO’s information about the coronavirus and only 36% of Republicans.

On the US market

More than 38 million Americans are unemployed

Nearly half of Americans (46%) believe that the United States can learn from the experience of other countries in the fight against the virus. As for the role of the United States in the world, 60% of Americans believe that the country should take care of its own problems. This is not particularly surprising given the bad news from the US labor market. According to the latest figures, more than 38 million Americans have lost their jobs (some temporarily) since March. This is the worst labor market crisis in the United States in decades. Experts are concerned that despite the lifting of some restrictions in some US states, the economic situation in the country continues to deteriorate.

And another interesting thing from the Pew study: 84 percent of Americans do not trust the official information of the Chinese government about the coronavirus.

* The parties were given four marks: excellent, good, satisfactory or bad



Source link
https://www.dw.com/bg/%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%83%D1%87%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B5-%D0%BD%D0%B0-%D0%BF%D1%8E-%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%8F-%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B0-%D1%81%D0%B5-%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8-%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%B9-%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B5-%D1%81%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%89%D1%83-%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%80%D1%83%D1%81%D0%B0/a-53530645

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here