Frank lies, scientists jumped. However, the government fell silent, and Radev gently recalled that a year ago he explained to Putin where they received the letter
Russia has found a new way to ignite a scandal between Sofia and Moscow over Cyril and Methodius. This time through an exhibition at the Russian Cultural Information Center in Sofia, according to which the holy brothers have nothing to do with Bulgaria, but instead are the first distributors of education in Russia.
The exhibition opened on the eve of May 24 and immediately provoked outraged comments from Bulgarian historians and public figures.
“Cveti Cyril for guidance prozvishte Filocof (827-869) and negoviyat brat Metodiy Moravcki – rodeni in Greek grad Colun, reformatori clavyanckata azbuka na, na cazdateli tsarkovnoclavyanckiya LANGUAGE first razproctraniteli na gramotnoctta and procvetata in Ruciya” reads the presentation of the exhibition The Russian center in the Bulgarian capital.
The exhibits include only Russian documents from the funds of the Moscow State United Art, Historical and Architectural and Natural Landscape Museum – Reserve.
The exhibition, named “The Source of Slavic Culture”, does not mention Bulgaria’s contribution to the spread of the work of the holy brothers.
This event is a political provocation, commented the historian from the University of Veliko Tarnovo Prof. Milko Palangurski.
“Frank lies have been written about Cyril and Methodius in the exhibition of the Russian Cultural Center,” Assoc. Prof. Vanya Micheva from the Bulgarian Language Institute at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences told FOCUS.
However, Bulgaria did not have an official reaction to the provocation. Unofficially, diplomats commented to “24 Chasa” that the scientists had said enough to the Russians.
“I gave my comment last year from the rostrum of the St. Petersburg Economic Forum in the presence of Presidents Putin and Xi Jinping, thousands of delegates from around the world, thousands of journalists from around the world that Russia received its writing from Bulgaria, from our Bulgarian lands. both Christianity and the Old Bulgarian Church Slavonic language came to Russia, ”commented President Rumen Radev after laying flowers at the Monument to Cyril and Methodius in Sofia on Sunday. He reminded that the Russian scientist Acad. Dmitry Likhachev called Bulgaria a country of the spirit.
Only Valeri Simeonov’s NFSB came out with a sharp position. According to them, the exhibition is a hybrid attack and is inadmissible to be allowed in the center of Sofia. Bulgarian history still bears the bruises of the whip of Russian historians – humiliated, crushed and manipulated, says the position of the patriots. They demanded the intervention of SANS and the prosecutor’s office.
This is not the first scandal provoked by Russia in recent years.
In 2017, on May 24, Russian President Vladimir Putin said at a meeting with then-Macedonian President Gjorge Ivanov that “May 24 is a holiday in Russia because of the Day of Slavic Writing, which came to us from Macedonian soil.”
Cyril and Methodius began the Russian script according to this poster.
Last year, an exhibition organized by the Russian embassy “75 years since the liberation of Eastern Europe from Nazism” provoked a sharp reaction from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Cyril and Methodius are an occasion to celebrate loyalty and patriotism, said Russian Ambassador Anatoly Makarov in a greeting to the Bulgarians on the occasion of May 24. (24 hours)
Professor Milko Palangurski, historian:
He must react externally
– Prof. Palangurski, what infuriated you in the exhibition of the Russian Cultural Information Center in Sofia, which presents Cyril and Methodius as Russian educators?
– At every national Bulgarian holiday, something is invented to show the attitude of the great northern empire to the small Balkan states and more precisely to us, the Bulgarians. This is not accidental. There is always a different way for the Bulgarian side to be provoked on several such sensitive topics, on which all Bulgarians have a common opinion. This shows the attitude of the former suzerain to Eastern European countries. Looking further1 this is
attempt to control
The Baltic republics were attacked again with the idea that they had voluntarily joined the Soviet Union. The Poles were told that Katyn was not a Russian affair, and that the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was almost a charitable action aimed at preserving peace. As you can see, the attack is on the whole of Eastern Europe. But we are looking for the greatest depth. What we call medieval Bulgarian history, which has formatted our nation and state.
– What is the purpose of this scandal?
– This is a new imperial policy of control over the historical past, in order to be able to manage individual political actions of the empire in the present time. Or, as Orwell put it, “He who controls the past controls the present.” But what everyone knew and what I heard personally from the ambassador of the Russian Empire Kerestedzhiyants when he read the speech of the already ill academician Likhachev in the hall of the university in 1999, those famous words about the state of mind are no longer Russian politics. Now the policy is different, we are just being explained. And the most interesting thing is that Bulgarian politicians bury their heads in the sand and think that there is no change. There is a change and it is very purposeful. And that is why we need to react. This is an erosion of what we call the historical past, what we consider to be our hallmark, for which there is unanimity in society. You see that
the blow is a lot
Anyone who knows the empire and its history knows that there is nothing accidental in Russian diplomacy. All this is measured, deep enough thought. The Russian Foreign Ministry employs very good, very trained specialists, not amateurs. They know the Bulgarian history, they know the Eastern European world and its painful points and one by one they are used. So here the question is no longer about what he admits and what he does not admit, the question is already a clash. This is an element of hybrid warfare. I don’t like the term very much, but it’s true. There is a hybrid war against Bulgaria, as well as against all other Eastern European countries.
– How do you think Bulgarian politicians should react at this time?
– I do not want to take over the functions of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, because I am not a diplomat, nor do I bear political responsibility, but the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has enough diplomats who are extremely aware of what needs to be done. You just have to react. What will be the way, how will one react at the diplomatic level, how will one react at the other level, which we call socio-political and cultural, this is already the heavy responsibility of Bulgarian politicians. They must wear it after gaining the trust of the Bulgarian electorate, but they must react – I am absolutely sure of that.
Domestically, Bulgarian politicians must finally remove this euphemism from the holiday of the Bulgarians, called Slavic culture and writing. First, because this script is not used only by Slavic peoples, and secondly, because
the Cyrillic alphabet is
made by order of the Bulgarian state, if you will, with its financing, from the remnants of Cyril and Methodius’ students, in order to make Bulgarian statehood with its own state creative language. Somehow, euphemistically, during the transition between totalitarianism and the new age, in order not to offend this or that, we attached this “Slavic cultures” and “Slavic languages”, which in the end is not needed, because we have learned one thing since childhood: this is the holiday of the Bulgarian letters, there is no other nation.
So we needed this holiday, we made it, we all embraced it, we celebrate it and accept it as part of what is called Bulgarian national self-consciousness. So, in this situation, what more do Bulgarian politicians need to change their name on May 24?
Embassy: May 24
is our common holiday
“The work of the holy brothers Cyril and Methodius is of great historical significance: they created the alphabet, affirmed the right of the Slavic peoples to use liturgical books translated into a language they understood, which would take its place among the sacred languages. In Russia, the work of the holy brothers and their disciples is deeply respected. Even today they are revered as educators, their feat has given a great impetus, including the development of Russian culture and literature. That is why we consider May 24 to be our common holiday. ”
This comment was given by the Russian Embassy in Bulgaria on the occasion of the scandalous exhibition about Cyril and Methodius at the Russian Cultural Information Center in Sofia. (24 hours)