US Defense Secretary authorizes transfer of $ 3.8 billion to border wall

0
4



WASHINGTON (Sputnik) – US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper authorized the transfer of $ 3.8 billion of the military budget to finance the construction of the wall on the southern border with Mexico, said Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Christian Mitchell, in a statement to Sputnik.

“Last month we received a new request from the Department of Homeland Security asking for help to block drug trafficking corridors on federal lands along the southern US border,” Mitchell said in the statement.

The spokesman added that “in response, the Secretary of Defense authorized the support of 3.8 billion dollars to build approximately 284.8 kilometers of fences that will help protect our borders.”
On Thursday, US President Donald Trump said he had extended his national emergency declaration on the southern border for another year.
The president warned Congress that more measures are needed to address illegal migration, drug trafficking and humanitarian problems at the border.

The Trump administration has implemented several immigration policies, such as the Migrant Protection Protocol (MPP), known as “Staying in Mexico,” in an effort to discourage migrants from entering from their southern neighbor. To united states.

The majority of migrants seeking asylum in the US flee violence and poverty in Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here