SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwellsaid in a statement on tuesday morning, Space Adventures “This historical mission will create a way to make space flight possible for all the people who dream of it. We are pleased to work with the Space Adventures team in this assignment,” he said.
Founded in 1998, Space Adventures will be in charge of coordinating civilians who want to travel in this project with SpaceX.
The company has so far sent seven tourists to Russia’s Soyuz rockets to the International Space Station (ISS). Next time on the space journey, passengers will include Microsoft co-founder Charles Simonyi and Iranian billionaire Anousheh Ansari, the first female space tourist.
While Crew Dragon crew is expected to fly freely around the world instead of docking with ISS, SpaceX will increase the number of passengers that will orbit the world on the planned flight, up to 4 more than ever.
Task partner Space Advantures President Eric Anderson stressed that the height of the Crew Dragon capsule ISP to be launched from the Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida can go up to two or three times.
“This Dragon mission honoring our shared history will be a special experience and a lifetime opportunity that could reach twice the height of any civil astronaut mission or space station visitor before,” said Anderson.
SpaceX company announced earlier this year that it would perform the first crew test of the Crew Dragon capsule by sending NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley to the ISS between May and June. Boeing also has a commercial team contract for the Starliner spacecraft, struggling with difficulties, including various software bugs.
No information has been given yet on how much civilians who will travel in space with the Crew Dragon capsule will pay for this touristic visit.