All in vain; Voter list proceedings suspended | Voters List | Election Commission

0
6


After the Thrissur High Court verdict, the voter list reforms in 2015 were halted, resulting in a waste of 3.61 lakh voters. At least 3200 government employees have been working for more than a month. This massive loss is due to the failure to take the first step in the 2019 voter list.

The post of Secretary, Junior Superintendent or Assistant Engineer in a Panchayat and a Secession Clerk has been in the works since the second week of January when the 2015 voter list was renewed. Draft publishing, patching, editing, and relocation. The work was also carried out by Keltron’s technical wing.

In all, 941 panchayats, 87 municipalities and 6 corporations in the state employed around 3200 employees. The district offices, including the Deputy Collector, Deputy Director of Panchayat, a junior superintendent, 5 clerks and 2 employees of Keltron, worked to update the list. The average salary for a month’s work is estimated at Rs.

The time spent on the list is even greater. It is estimated that, on an average, 250 panchayats have applied to refresh the list. Another 100 people are involved in correction, booth conversion and name removal. This means that at least 350 people have applied to each local body and submitted their papers. A total of 3.61 lakh people will be present for the hearing.

There was already disagreement over the selection of the voter list 5 years ago, as last year’s list was up for the 2020 election. This is why after 2015, all adults are required to apply online and appear directly for evidence. The Minister said that there were 10 lakh new voters during this period. What Moiteen said.

The UDF has filed a petition seeking consideration of the 2019 Lok Sabha voter list. The Election Commission has sent an order to the Collectorates to suspend the table renewal. The draft ballot was published on January 20. The deadline for application is due to expire yesterday.

The Election Commission may appeal

The Election Commission is likely to appeal against the High Court’s ruling that the 2019 Lok Sabha elections should be based on the electoral rolls. Completing the selection process within the stipulated time has become a challenge for the Commission. Voters will also need to confirm voter names. There is also concern about whether ward redevelopment will affect voter reform.

To use the 2019 electoral rolls, the booth-based list must be based on the ward. It has to leave each voter and make sure he is a member of that ward. To complete these tasks in 25,000 booths would cost Rs 10 crore. Another challenge for the Commission is the division of wards. The final ward list can be published only after the complaints are heard and the complaints are resolved. This process takes at least 5 months.

English Summary: Voter list proceedings stopped



Source link
https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/kerala/2020/02/15/voter-list-proceedings-stopped.html

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here