After a controversial collective acquittal at first instance, six young men were sentenced to four and five years in prison, suspended for raping a teenage girl in 2011 in Antony, in the Hauts-de-Seine, and a seventh was acquitted, AFP learned Saturday, November 23 from lawyers.
The verdict in the first trial in March 2017 created controversy, resulting in a petition that had collected some 50,000 signatures, and the public prosecutor's office eventually appealed.
Two and a half years later and after the wave #metoo, these seven defendants, six of whom were between 15 and 17 years old and one 20 years old at the material time, had been on appeal since Monday behind closed doors in court. Assizes Miners Val-d'Oise.
If one of them is acquitted again, the six other five-year suspended sentence suspended for three of them, four years suspended for three others, said lawyers of the defense and the civil party.
Young people from his neighborhood
The 14-year-old girl, who was alone in her father's apartment in Antony during the night of 9 to 10 September 2011, said she was raped by young people in her neighborhood, some of whom had a partially concealed face, during many hours.
The defendants had, at the time, acknowledged sexual intercourse but claimed that they were consenting. During the investigation, they had evoked a reputation of "easy girl" of the civil party.
"Justice has been returned to (the victim)," commented Samia Meghouche, the young woman's lawyer.
Pierre Degoul, the lawyer of one of the accused, said he was "disgusted", denouncing "judges on duty" and "justice to the orders of associations of victims and Femen".
Two other juveniles, who were under the age of 15 at the time, were sentenced by the juvenile court.