"The unexpected interruption of the electronic counting of the votes after the first round of the general elections in Bolivia caused a serious concern that must be studied in a complete and rapid manner," says the Kocijancic statement on the website of the European External Action Service .
The text adds that "Bolivian authorities, in particular the Supreme Electoral Tribunal, are expected to guarantee maximum transparency of counting, tabulation procedures and their results ".
"This is vital to guarantee the credibility of the electoral process, guarantee voter confidence and respect the will of the Bolivian people," the statement said.
It also highlights that "recent incidents must be investigated" and calls "all parties to refrain from violence."
According to the latest preliminary data of the Plurinational Electoral Body, which have not been updated for several hours, with 95.6% of the minutes verified, Bolivian President Evo Morales accumulates 46.4% of the votes, against 37.07 % of former president Carlos Mesa.
The publication of data of the system of Transmission of Preliminary Electoral Results of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal, which had been paralyzed on October 19 when Morales had a seven-point advantage, was reactivated on the afternoon of October 21 after pressure from the same Board and various opposition groups that warned of the risk of fraud, as well as calls for attention from the Mission of the Organization of American States (OAS) in the country.